Search Deepinradio Blog

Saturday 21 May 2011

Frankie Knuckles Interview











Frankie Knuckles pres. Director's Cut feat. Jamie Principle - I'll Take You There (inc. Director's Cut Classic Signature Mix, The Shapeshifters Remix & Dimitri From Paris Re-Edit)

Having worked with Jamie Principle on some of the most seminal house records ever created, expectations are understandably high for Frankie Knuckles ' latest single. Unsurprisingly with artists of this calibre, it doesn't disappoint. ‘I’ll Take You There’ features all the things you'd expect; luscious chords, fierce bass and of course a flawless vocal from Principle.

Remixes are typically heavyweight too, in the form of a club-ready bomb from The Shapeshifters and a simple yet effective re-edit from Dimitri from Paris.


  1. Where are you now and what are you doing?
    At present, I'm sitting in the lobby of Hotel Mal Maison in London, nursing a night-cap of 20 year old Port.
  2. With ‘The Ones You Love’ already hitting #1 on Traxsource in 2011 and now ‘I’ll Take You There’ set to drop, can you tell us about what is currently inspiring you to get back in the studio?
    I'm inspired by a new relationship with production. On the heels of the success of 'Blind' by Hercules & The Love Affair I woke to a new passion & desire about music plus, I knew if I were to have any real success this time around I needed to re-invent myself. Hence, DIRECTOR'S CUT.
  3. Can you tell how ‘I’ll Take You There’ came about? How did you end up working with Jamie Principle again and who is involved in your Director’s Cut project?
    DIRECTOR'S CUT is Eric Kupper and myself. After 'Blind' I realized there was a new romantasizm brewing on the dance music horizon. A longing for a sound that we at DefMix locked-down in the early/middle 90s. It's a sound that we produced for many major artist back in the day. But this time around I'm working with everyone I've always wanted to work with, great & small and, at a pace that suits me best. Jamie and I had a hit with the song, Bac N da Day, from my album, A New Reality. ‘I’ll Take You There’ is one of several songs that Jamie tossed at me to consider for production. The lyrics to this song had such an appeal, I really felt it speaking to me. I just thought it was special and more than anything, if it didn't do it for anyone else, I needed to do for myself. Jamie was also surprised at how taken I was to this tune. The message is so clear and concise. An anthem for today's generation.
  4. What other new releases and productions can we expect from you and the Director’s Cut team this year?
    Well, there are several Jamie Principle classics that will receive the DIRECTOR'S CUT treatment. Also, a new artist name B.Slade and various remixes by some of my best friends; Ultra Nate, Kenny Bobien etc.
  5. What are your plans for the summer? Will you be touring this extensively year?
    I will tour, definitely. But I'll also continue to work in production. But, you can expect to see me in some of the usual summer/holiday resorts bringing a familiar sound with a freshness that's relevant to what's happening now.
  6. What are you playing in your DJ sets at the moment? What new records or young producers are you currently supporting?
    There are several projects I've worked on over the past couple of years that are in various stages of production, as well as some of my current remixes that has been helping me to re-define who I am and opening me up to a new audience, I also have a personal coterie of friends and collaborators that ave been turning me on to new music ideas. Helping me to up my game as a producer. It's a very exciting time for me!
  7. Through your past collaborations with The Shapeshifters and now releasing on Nocturnal Groove you seem to have a strong relationship with these guys. How the relationships develop and why did you sign ‘I’ll Take You There’ to Nocturnal Groove?
    When I first played ‘I’ll Take You There’ for Simon & Max (The Shapeshifters) in Australia 2 years ago they told me how much they liked it. They also expressed that the song was too important to throw away by just putting it up on a Traxsource with little fanfare. Then they express their interest in signing it to their label. For me, PERFECT! These guys a serious professionals. They know everything necessary to get a good song to the marketplace and how to work it. I couldn't have hitched my wagon to a better star. The industry is such a different place today and the rules have changed. These past few years that I've bounced back I've learned so much.
  8. As your artistic relationship with Jamie Principle is now re-established can we expect you to re-visit any of your previous collaborations?
    Absolutely! Apart from some of the new material we've been writing we are re-visiting some of our classic collaborations to bring a fresher new feeling to them.
(Traxsource 2011)

    No comments:

    Post a Comment